This is a statement that I truly believe in and like to promote. There is a network of people behind this safety factor and it is because of them that we can boast the above statement. What is this network and how is it organized?
1. Food safety begins with the consumer. WE are responsible for staying up on current recalls and alerts. WE are also responsible for preventing food poisoning during preparation. My mother teaches family and consumer science classes and here are a few of her simplistic kitchen tips that have been ingrained in my head.
- When in doubt, throw it out!
- CSCC - Clean, Separate, Cook, Chill
- 165 Degrees - basic safe temperature for meat, eggs, leftovers, casseroles
2. Producers of food and food products are also responsible for food safety measures. The most important thing to remember here is that producers of food are also consumers of food. Food safety is very important to producers because it goes on their dinner plate too!
3. Food safety continues into governmental agencies. Federal food safety measures are split out into different agencies that are outlined below:
- Food - FDA
- Meat, poultry and eggs - USDA
- Pet Food - FDA
- Outbreaks and illnesses - CDC
It is in this integral system of agencies, producers and consumers that keep the food on our plates safe for our families!
Keeping in line with the regular blog feature of a "Foodie Feature" I will send you to the Food Safety website of all websites! It is produced by the agencies mentioned above. Tool around on it and learn more about this important topic. You can add them to your twitter feed and get instant updates on recalls, notices and other information. There is even a food safety widget and if you even know what that word means, knock yourself out and widget away!
All my best,