Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

I thought the world was supposed to end in 2012.....

"Both the Hopis and the Mayans recognize that we are approaching the end of a World Age...in both cases, however, the Hopi and Mayan elders do not prophesy that everything will come to an end. Rather, this is a transition from one World Age into another." - Joseph Robert Jochmans


I definitely don't want anyone to take me for a person truly believes the world is going to end in 2012. However, I think many people may believe that the world could end tomorrow considering the onslaught of natural disasters that have ravaged Earth so far in 2011. The floods and cyclones we've seen here in Eastern Australia, the combination of wildfires and floods in the US, and the chilling aftermath of Japan's earthquakes have certainly made me wonder what the good Lord has in store for this world next.

These disasters have certainly taken a toll on world agriculture as well. For the three months I've been in Australia, I haven't eaten a banana yet because they're probably one of the most expensive fruits here, at a price of about $5.00 a pound since the crop in Queensland was almost wiped out. Then when I call home to Ohio, my dad still hasn't put a crop in the ground because the ground is saturated. With the supply of corn tighter than ever before, food prices across the board have risen over 3% since 2010, according to USDA statistics.

Even with these somber tones, I suppose there is a silver lining. I know that my wife and I, with our limited budget here in Australia, have really come to appreciate the cheap food costs we enjoyed back home in the US. We've learned to budget accordingly, and only treat ourselves to a rare meal away from home. When I talk to people in the US, they complain about rising food costs as well. I believe that in times and situations where food costs are high, each and every one of us gains a better appreciation for the 'good life' and the amazing food production system we have at our disposal in the United States. At least in the sense of food costs in the US, perhaps WE ARE looking at a New World Age, by joining countries like Australia that have to pay more for the food on their table.

Right, wrong, or inevitable, it's something to consider the next time you go to the store....

Bananaless in Australia,

Hyatt Frobose

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails