Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Joys of Raising Sheep

We often discuss cattle farming on this blog, but I would like to share a bit about my experiences raising sheep for meat and wool production. Lamb isn’t always something that crosses our mind when brainstorming what to cook for dinner. But raising meat production lambs is something that has been a part of my life since I can remember. It may be safe to say that I have some of the most spoiled sheep in the country. Each evening the flock is let out of the pasture into our yard (yes, our yard) to feast on the luscious grass and clover. There is no better feeling in the world than to see them running and jumping with joy and filling their bellies for the night. It’s a scene we call “pastoral splendor”.


Sheep grazing in the front yard
Pastoral splendor
When it is time to turn in for the night, I get my helper, Cap, to guide the sheep back to the pasture. Cap is an Australian Shepherd and my right-hand man on the farm. Our evening finishes off with some “cookies” and head scratches for the sheep. This is truly my favorite time of the night. I know my sheep are full, happy, and comfortable which means I have done my job as a shepherd. Happy and healthy sheep mean lambs that grow into quality production animals.


Dog and shepherd move sheep to pasture
Guiding sheep back to the pasture with Cap
 While I love my sheep, I understand the practicality of raising lambs for meat production. The money we make from selling lambs is used to buy feed and medicines for our resident flock and the lambs we sell enter the food system to help feed people in America. Another aspect of raising sheep includes annual shearing. We save the wool from the Romney sheep we own for use in our personal knitting projects.


Wool from the flock will be for knitting projects
We'll use this wool for our own personal knitting projects
Thanks for joining me in some of the responsibilities of a shepherd. I hope you enjoyed the trip!
 
Caiti

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!
    I've been a shepherd for fifteen years now and have learned an incredible amount from our lowly sheep.
    Hope you'll come visit us at www.homesteadhillfarm.com
    Here's a couple of lamb recipes you might try. :) http://homesteadhillfarm.blogspot.com/p/lamb-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails