Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Gold Medal Industry

The summer Olympics are easily my favorite sporting events to watch.  Even if I know nothing about an event, it is still easy for me to root for Team USA.  Regardless of how little I actually know about each of the athletes, the letters USA on their uniforms gives me a sense of connection to each competitor down in Rio.  With each gold medal, my sense of pride in my country grows, but I seldom take into account the hours of practice and numerous sacrifices that it takes for any Olympian to compete at that level.  It is so easy for me to focus on the end product without taking into consideration the years that each athlete has spent pounding on his or her craft. 


If I step back and take a look at the world around me, I notice many similarities to the Olympics.  This summer I left the family farm to work for a show cattle operation.  Although there are many noticeable differences between the two, one thing that they both have in common is striving to produce the best possible beef for the consumers.  Just like the athletes who train for the Olympics, farmers and ranchers are constantly striving for excellence in order to have a positive impact on the industry.


The Olympics are full of a variety of events, and sometimes I wonder how some of the events could even be considered sports.  However, I occasionally find myself having the same thoughts with agriculture.  Growing up on a commercial cattle operation and even showing calves at my county fair, I would have never dreamed of washing as many calves as I have this summer.  Many of the ranchers that I grew up around would have just scoffed at the thought of washing and blow-drying their cattle, but as I have experienced over the course of this summer, it is in fact, a part of the agriculture industry, and both parties have very similar end goals. 

Although Kansas lacks the beautiful beaches that make Rio so special, the farmers and ranchers, as well as the athletes in the Olympics, do have their similarities.  There may not be medals for those who work in agriculture, but we are still faced with the challenge of feeding nearly 10 billion people in just a few decades.  In order to fulfill such a demand, it is vital that those who working in each industry of agriculture strive for excellence.

Until next time,


Lane

14 comments:

  1. Put more information on your website like this one, I really like these types of blogs. I am also wanted to write blog kindly guide me if my topic is Agricultural products in Nigeria then what should I do first and how will I create new and unique content on this topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the blogs that I truly enjoy. If my topic is agricultural goods in Nigeria, please advise me on what to do first and how to come up with fresh, original material on this subject. Also have look at TBNTS .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting and informative. Thanks for the blog. If you want to know about Home Maintenance Dubai then it will help you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is incredibly instructive and fascinating. I appreciate the blog. It will be really helpful if you want to learn about Handyman Services in Dubai then watch here because HMSD gives you the best Handyman Services in Dubai to make your Apartment, Villa, Office, and Warehouse very well working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like reading these blogs. Please provide me advice on what to do first and how to develop new, original information on this issue if my theme is agricultural products in Nigeria. Visit Best Burgers in Lahore for the delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good. This is a great article thanks for sharing this information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest posts from
    uae technician.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really good post. Must admit that you are among the best bloggers I have read. Thanks for posting this informative article.
    fridge repair dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came upon your webpage today, and I thought it was rather lovely. If you require a local carpenter, our business can provide you with the best experience possible. Carpenter Services Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Post
    Your Blog is really good and very usefully. Do you need expert for your home appliances in Dubai. Visit us laptop repair sharjah company and solve your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A simple way to gain valuable information and discuss your ideas. macbook repair dubai

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your blog post. Keep on writing this type of great stuff. I'll make sure to follow up on your blog in the future. handyman dubai

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been reading your posts regularly. I need to say that you are doing a fantastic job. Please keep up the great work.
    car ac cleaning dubai

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails